1000 miles in 2011

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Merry Christmas to all

Yesterday, (notice I always start that way because I never get a chance to write anything in the evening) I realized that Christmas is just around the corner. I thought I had a lot of time but I don't.

As for my "making of gifts", well, I did start early enough but the procrastinator in me knew I had plenty of time and here I am, only a couple weeks before Christmas and so much to do.

I can happily say I have finished my first quiet book and the second one is well on its way. I needed to get the first one done on the ASAP because I need to send way up north in Sask (don't think I will even attempt to spell the whole province) and I ALWAYS wait until too late to send our gifts to our niece and nephew up there and end up paying extra to get it there express on the bus. This year I decided to get it all done early and send it by mail, probably way cheaper. But now, it is Dec 9 and I am sure I'm running out of time to send it by mail and will end up with the costly bus again. So much for saving money on Christmas gifts this year by making my own.

On top of that, I realize that we are having our Christmas gathering next Saturday with Jason's family and that is where the second quiet book is going, so the more I think, the less time I have to get this stuff done. I decided to skip the treadmill this morning get the show rolling.

I also started my gift for my parents from the kids. Its just a painters canvas. I put their handprints on (messy job!!) and then will write a little something on there. It was instead of the stepping stone I made for my mother-in-law. My mom isn't much for gardening or outdoors type stuff so a stepping stone seemed silly. Hopefully this turns out as well though. I opted to just get those handprints on there and save the rest for when I was alone. Hmm, now would be a good time.

I have also started making calendars for both grandparents. What grandparent doesn't want to look at pics of their grandparents all year round? I have my parents completed but not my in-laws, plus then I want to take it to staples to get the little ring things put on top. Another things I really should get on since I don't know if they do that in a day or a week or what!

The next project is my nieces snuggie. I do have until the actual Christmas time to complete this one and I really don't think it'll take long, I have the blanket, just have start cutting and sewing. But thanks to my sister, I have another niece to get something for (notice how I try to sound mad but really can't be because that little girl is so darn cute!!). I had wanted to try making her a sew-free blanket, so that means another intimidating trip to the fabric store where they know I don't belong by looking at me, not to mention how I mispronounce EVERY word I try to say.

I am also needing to buy some jars. I received a cookie-in-a-jar from Ashton daycare a couple years ago, (just made the cookies last week though) and I thought that might be a good idea for my nieces as well. It won't take long, again, just gotta get the jars!

What else, oh yes, then there is the trip to the liquor store to purchase a bottle or 2 for a friend. We don't really know what to buy him, he buys what he needs so this is our out :) A trip to Walmart for the stocking stuffers/Christmas candy. A gift for Jason, which is always impossible but this year it'll be worse because we really don't have money so I will only be buying something very small, looking at something practical for him, like a travel mug or something. I know that sounds dumb, but he does want a nice one to take coffee to school/work in.

I still have to buy a few more things for Brayden, that has been a challenge. Normally I'd buy him just any old baby type item but when you don't have a bunch of extra money, you just don't want to waste it on things you don't need. What does an 8 month old need anyway? Especially when he's not only the second child, but the second boy, he has all he'll ever need in the form of hand me downs!

Then there the wrapping . . .

Did I mention on top of all this wonderful stuff I still need to prepare, I must keep the house clean, entertain 2 kids when it's too cold to go outside and put meals on the table everyday? Oh and add the NO SLEEP factor in there.

It's funny, this may sound like complaining, but really it's not. I LOVE Christmas, its my favorite time of year. I love shopping, baking (eating the baking is likely more my style) visiting family and friends, the music, the decorations, the whole package!!

Tonight I am attending "the singing Christmas tree" put on at my friends church. I went a few years ago but it's never worked for me to go again. I can't wait. Best part, I'll be kid free. I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you! But be thankful you don't have an hr's drive into Brandon to do your shopping. Portage definitely has it's limits!
    If you're talking about getting your calendars bound with a coil, that only takes a few minutes - if they don't have a bunch of other things to do. Maybe Jason could drop it off for you when he's out and about and you could just swing by and pick the following day?
    Way to go on making all those Christmas gifts. That means a lot to people too. :)

    ReplyDelete