1000 miles in 2011

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I'd rather be drunk

As you say Tif, you don't think your life is interesting, at least you can make it sound interesting. This is part of why I was hesitant about starting a blog.

Yesterday I went to Ptg to meet my new niece. I was very excited but nervous at the same time. Jason had school during the day and hockey at night so it was just me and the boys. That is where the nervous comes in.

We made a stop in Austin to pick up my mom then heading to Ptg, some MacDonald's and off to the hospital. Ashton was very excited to meet his new cousin, but a hospital with a shared room is not the place for a busy 3 year old! We visited in Nikki's room for a little while but soon had to leave because there was barely enough room to stand on either side of the bed since the rooms in that hospital are smaller than the ones in Brandon and at least in Brandon you get your own room! You know the lady in the next bed just had a baby too so she is obviously tired as well and to try to keep Ashton quiet when he's not oogling the baby, not possible. On top of that, Brayden was in one of his moods where it was only ok for mom to hold him so he would scream when he went to Grandma, another thing you really don't want happening in a room with 2 women who just had babies.

We decided to head back to Nikki's house to put the boys down for a rest, maybe Grandma too since she just got off work that morning and although she was in bed for an hour and a half, I doubt she slept.

Back at the house, I give Brayden his bottle and put him down in the playpen for nap. He screamed for a bit then fell asleep. Ashton would not have a nap because there were just too many different toys to play with so I just tried to keep him occupied so Brayden would at least be happier when he woke up.

Time passed, not much time, only a half hour and Brayden started screaming. He was done napping. Why? He pooped. He seems to be very prone to constipation and this was one of the worst weeks since starting solids. He was very upset the previous night because he tried and tried to go but no results. He woke up early this morning and success! Once he starts, he can't stop so I was ready to go through a lot of diapers that day. I was very happy he was going but I just wish it hadn't woke him up from his nap.

So now I have 2 tired boys, one tired grandma and mom. We figured we'd head back to the hospital to visit a bit more before heading home. This time Paige was there so that caused even more excitement with Ashton. He runs over and starts tickling Paige who was sitting on Nikki's bed, not a good plan for someone who just had a c-section. I figured this wasn't going to work well so we went down to the TV room, myself and the kids, so they could play a bit and not disturb everyone hoping they'd get some of this out of their systems. In the meantime, my arms are shaking and cramping from carrying my other monster child around.

With Glenn's help we managed to get a few pictures with the kids and then we figured we'd better head home. I was kind of wishing that I'd left the boys with their other grandma for the day but I know how much Ashton loves babies and would have been very upset with me so I plugged away.

Another stop over at Grandmas and Paige and Ashton ran around for awhile to burn off some energy. When we got home, I had 2 extremely tired boys. Ashton was being uncooperative, as per usual when he's overtired. He phoned his other grandma to tell her the babies name, to which she replied "are you sure". She had never heard the name before. Then she told Ashton she had made cookies today for him and he burst into tears because he wanted them. We were supposed to stop there on the way home but we ran out of time as Jason needed the car to get to hockey.

I told Ashton because of his distress, we needed to go to bed, he wanted a snack, not because he was hungry but because its habit, he always needs a snack before bed. I was trying to think of something really quick so he could pop it in his mouth and be off to bed. I lucked out, he hadn't had his advent chocolate yet so that became his snack and it was off to bed.

Did I mention, this entire time, I'm carrying the other 20lb child around so he doesn't get all worked up before I put him down to bed? Yah, my arm is still sore today!

Finally I get Ashton into bed, he insists he's not tired. I leave the room, nurse Brayden for 10 minutes, put him down and check on Ashton. Out cold! Hmm, was mom right again? Maybe he was tired.

By this point I am so exhausted all I wanted to do was go to bed, but I still had to unpack everything from our trip today and tidy up the house. I'm not sure what Jason did this evening but it was the same as I left it the night before, but with all the added dishes from his supper. We don't have a lot of counter space and so a few dishes make it look so messy and I get anxiety when I see it. I almost washed the dishes, but opted to catch up on my final episode on Battle of the Blades before heading to bed.

It was over around 10. I looked over at the computer thinking I really should post something about my new niece or I might be getting in trouble, so I figure I'll quickly update my status and within a minute I had like 4 comments, so by the time I check those and respond, it's 10:30. Way past bedtime.

I head to bed, just hoping that I would fall asleep and not be woken up when Jason gets home from hockey at midnight. No such luck, and the boys had other plans too. Rough night.

They say being overtired is like being drunk, but it doesn't seem as fun to me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, being drunk is WAY more fun than being tired and frustrated from trying to contain little kids all day.

    It's funny, probably if a non-mommy read our blogs they'd think, "what's the big deal? that doesn't sound so bad!" But seriously? It's so tiring! And I know how frustrating it is sometimes to try and do a simple thing when you have the kids along. Like visiting your sister with her new baby. Shouldn't be so bad right? Ha! There are times that I go to the store and try and pick out kids vitamins or a new hair dye, and all I need is two minutes to compare labels or look at colours, or try to figure out whether it's cheaper to get 180 of one vitamin or 120 of a different brand at a different price, and all I really need is 90 frickin seconds where they will just stand still, stop touching stuff, stop fighting, stay with me, and maybe not throw stuff out of the cart. Is that too much to ask?

    Apparently so. It's really tedious some days. I love my kids to bits, but man there are days when I wish that I had a little more free time to do these "easy" little things on my own. Having Brayden cry at all the inconvenient times really sucks too. As if you wanted to go and watch TV with the three little monsters when there was a new baby and your mom and sister just down the hall.

    I can totally read your frustration. There are days when bedtime can't come soon enough, and when it does finally come, those are often the days when the kids manage to drag that out too.

    It's a good thing we love them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said that last night after Ashton went to bed and Brayden was being extremely pleasant, he was actually laughing, he's very stingy with his giggles, and I said to Jason, that sound almost takes away all the frustration and exhaustion of the day. Good thing they can be so darn cute, or I might have to trade them in for a new pair. lol

    ReplyDelete