1000 miles in 2011

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I'm becoming and insomniac

Last night was a tough night. Brayden has been sleeping so much better lately. I love it! But last night was kind of an exception.

I am done nursing now and that did help with the sleeping at night, a lot! Normally Brayden will go to bed between 7 and 8pm and wakes up around midnight. I will pick him up and comfort him, normally by walking around or rocking him until he starts to dose off again. When I put him back down, sometimes he cries for a couple minutes, sometimes not at all. Wonderful.

Then he will often wake up again between 4 and 5am and at this time I will give him a bottle and put him back down and he'll sleep until 8am or so.

The few nights past, he has gone to bed at his usual time and when he wakes up the first time, it's a little later, like 2 or 3am and it's just because he's been sleeping on his stomach, which normally he does not, and he isn't great at getting back over, he can but it takes more effort for him than rolling to his stomach, so he needs to be flipped over. Or he has gas, so I pick him up, he burps, I lie him back down and he falls asleep right away again. Then he sleeps until about 7am.

Last night, he went to bed at 7:30, when I checked on him at 8, he was on his tummy and he smelled so I had to wake him up to change his bum. He cried for about 2 minutes and went back to sleep. He didn't wake up until 4:15am and even though it had been 9 hours since he had his bottle, I thought I'd try to just comfort him and put him back down without it since it was the first time he'd woken up.

It didn't go so well.

I put him back down and he cried, a lot. I usually give him about half an hour of crying and then I go get him because that means he's really not going back to sleep. Well, he quit crying before the half hour, was quiet for awhile, then he started crying again. This was around 5am. I decided to go give him a bottle now, it had been a long time since he'd eaten and I was so tired, yet unable to sleep as he lay there crying. Plus Jason was actually awoken by this crying and he had a test in the morning.

I gave him the bottle and he slept until 9am. Good for him, not for me. I am sure I am becoming an insomniac. I used to be able to go back to sleep after I got up with the kids but lately I will lay there for hours unable to sleep.

The worst part is, since Brayden started sleeping better, Ashton has started getting up more for random reasons. I've never had a problem with Ashton sleeping through the night, not since he was 8 months old! I don't know what is going on now.

I'll be in a dead sleep and I hear "mommy, mommy, mommy". I fly out of bed and run to his room, very quietly of course, because I do not want him to wake up Brayden. But with the jump out of bed, my heart is racing, I'm sure its adrenaline or something and that is likely why I can't get back to sleep.

I don't mind him getting up to pee, we even tried putting a little push button night light in the bathroom so he'd go on his own, but then he was calling me to come and see the light at night. Kind of defeating the purpose.

Lately its been that he wants to come sleep in my bed. I have never let my kids sleep with us. Maybe when Ashton was a little baby and wouldn't go to sleep and I was desparate to get some rest but not since, and Brayden has never come to bed with us. I tell him no when he asks but then he starts to whin, therefore, waking Brayden up, Ashton falls back to sleep before I can finish explaining why he can't sleep with us, but I'm left then with another kid awake.

Last night before bed, I tried to tell Ashton that he was not allowed to come sleep with us in the middle of the night. I told him there just isn't room. I told him it is ok if he wants to come sleep with me after dad goes to school but not before. He said he understood and then he told me that he would instead call me in the middle of the night to ask me if daddy was still in bed. Imagine my frustration, after the laughter of course. Sometimes there is just no explaining things to kids!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment