1000 miles in 2011

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

now what?

Got some bad news yesterday on the job front. Kind of bummed me out.

A few weeks ago I had recieved some exciting news about a job I was hoping for. It's a physiotherapists assistant. I had mentioned to a girl on my soccer team (who is a physiotherapist) last summer that I was interested in doing something like that when I went back to work and she said she'd let me know if they had any positions come up.

I didn't really expect to hear from her because I only played 2 games of soccer last summer and she was new to the team so I didn't think she'd even remember me but she did and she sent me a message a few weeks ago and told me that one of their assistants was going on maternity leave. She said she wasn't sure if they'd be filling the position but she had a strong suspicion they would be and was wondering if I was still interested. She said the owners are a bit slow but she figured they'd be posting the position in the next few weeks and she could mention me if I wanted.

I was very excited. I have been really interested in the field of physio since I took anatomy and physiology like 6 years ago and aced it. It's a class most fail but I was so interested in the muscles etc that I got an A+ first term and an A second term. Every since then I have been thinking about going into physio. I had actually applied there before I started at Herbal Magic and ended up not getting the position because the other girl had more secretary experience than I did. I found this out because the lady that interviewed me ended up joining herbal magic some time later and she remembered me. It wasn't long after that she actually offered me a job there but at the time, I was making good money and was unable to take the pay cut. Looking back I kind of wonder where I'd be now if I had gone. I still think I made the right choice.

The reason I want to do this assistant position is because I am not a book learner. I did ok in school but I had to work really hard for it. I would love to get some on the job experience before I go to school. I think that would make school a lot easier, not to mention that I could see if it is what I think it is before I end up going to school and not wanting to do the job. This happened to me before. I was registered to take psychiatric nursing a few years ago and I ended up withdrawing from the program after I encountered an attempted suicide with one of my clients I was working with as a mental health proctor. It was not something I thought I could handle on a regular basis. So, back to square one.

I've still thought about getting into physio, but I was making really good money at Herbal Magic and that makes it really hard to change. I wouldn't have the house or the vehicle I have now if it weren't for my position there for the last 6 years. Things have changed. Now, I am not the manager, as I stepped down before I left, so I'd be making barely more than minimum wage. I have figured out that I can't go back to work and make what I was making before I left or I won't even be able to keep up financially. Throwing $1000/month in daycare kind of puts a damper on the finances! This job seemed like a great opportunity.

Well, the "dream" came to an end yesterday when the girl from soccer emailed me and said they have decided not to hire for that position right now but she'd let me know if they did again in the future. I know that I didn't actually have the job or anything but it still kind of feels like I was fired. Now I am back to not having any idea what I'll be doing in 2 months. It's kind of scary. It's hard to make plans for the summer when you have no idea what kind of hours I'll be doing or what kind of money I'll be making. Guess I just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment