1000 miles in 2011

Monday, November 29, 2010

Me time

It only took 7 months but I'm finally getting organized. Well, I'm getting closer.

Brayden is finally back to his VERY happy self. He sat on the floor last night and played by himself for like an hour while I sat close by and started cutting out stuff for my second quiet book. I was so impressed. Not to mention, he's been sleeping better at night and going down for naps and bedtime without screaming, he barely makes a peep most times. The odd time, he'll talk to himself for awhile but he's content. His napping schedule is getting a bit more predictable so that makes my life easier. I'm not sure if it is because I'm weening him off nursing or because with only one vehicle, we are forced to stay home and that helps establish a routine. Either way I am loving it.

I decided this morning that because of that I better get back on the treadmill. I took a break for a few weeks, which always seems to happen if I take any kind of break. I was running during Brayden's morning nap but I have been using that time to work on getting the plastic up on the windows to save on the hydro bill and to get sewing my quiet book. I could do neither this morning since I have no more plastic, and no vehicle to go get any until this evening, and I have no sewing machine because I've been using my mother-in-laws and she had to take it this weekend to make Brayden's blanket for Christmas. So, No excuses left.

It was nice to get back on the treadmill. I know I would do it more if it didn't involve so much time afterwards. That is my real reason for skipping out. I have no problem finding at least 30 minutes to be on it, but then I also need to find 15 more minutes to stretch after, time to get in the shower (which I don't like doing while Brayden is sleeping because it wakes him up), do my hair and make lunch. All those things are what holds me back. I know they are all excuses but I like to think of myself as pretty good as making up excuses. Gotta be good at something right?

I knew I needed to get back on there today because I've been feeling pretty down lately. I went out and got my hair done on Thursday to start things off. I normally can't justify spending large amounts of money on coloring my hair but I had a gift certificate to use so that took a large chunk of the cost away. I've never been really good at keeping up with my hair, I'm lucky if I cut it every few months but this time I went all out. There is a salon in Brandon I go to that has "the best stylist in town", this is what I've been told by many. I've gone to him a few times and I've never been unhappy. He really loves his work. He is like an artist with a canvas when you go in there without any real idea of what you want. I went in with fairly long blonde hair and came out with quite short violet and golden hair.

Yep, purple. I know it sounds crazy but it actually looks pretty good. It is darker underneith and then lighter on top. He did it that way because he knew I wasn't the kind of person to keep up with roots (is it that obvious) so he didn't want to do anything that was going to be high maintenance. He cut it in a bob because the bob does the work for you. I know they all say that but this hair cut REALLY is very managable. It only takes me 5 minutes to do my hair and it looks great.

Now I have a great hair cut that I really like but when I look in the mirror, I don't like how it looks on me. I started to picture the thinner, prebaby me and think it would look a lot better that way. I've been procrastinating for some time because losing weight really does take a lot of time and just like most people, if you don't see results right away, you tend to fall of course.

I am not setting major goals for myself. Just simple acheivable goes. I have to lose 15 - 20 lbs to be at my lowest point that I was before but I know that if I can just do 10 for now, I'd feel much better and have a much wider selection of wardrobe, which also makes me feel better. I have decided to work a little harder at not snacking so much during the day and to incorporate more veggies and fruits into my diet. Seriously, my diet mainly consists of carbs. I don't even eat much meat! I am not going to cut out treats, just cut back, a lot. It will be tough because I do like to attempt to bake, (notice I've said attempt) and when it's there, it's hard to resist, but I need to do this for me.

Moms always put themselves on the backburner and it shouldn't be that way. I've dealt with a lot of that over the years with my clients at work and its not fair. So many women don't realize that if they are not happy, their children will not be happy, and neither will their husbands. So enough is enough, it's time for a little me time. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you!

    I could use a kick in the butt with a lot of the above mentioned things too. Maybe you'll be my inspiration! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mommy with me-time is definitely a better mommy. Good luck with the diet and exercise, it really is challenging sometimes!!

    I would also love to see a picture of your new hair, sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete