1000 miles in 2011

Saturday, January 1, 2011

What is that smell?

Have you ever opened your fridge and become overwhelmed with an arroma that is less than pleasing?

Well, that happened to me a few days ago. I knew I didn't have anything old and moldy in there because I look through it often but that smell, I can't even explain it! I figured I'd go through it again and just make sure there wasn't something I missed. I threw out all the leftovers even if they were only a couple days old, none of them smelled bad, but I was desparate.

Didn't work.

Jason and I decide then to take EVERYTHING out of the fridge and clean the whole think in case there was something spilled somewhere that was causing the odour. Once we finished that task, it seemed to be better, but still it smelled.

We begin to worry. A few months ago, we had a minor mouse problem in that we caught 5 mice in 3 days so we started to wonder if one had gotten into the back of the fridge and died and the stench was blowing into the fridge through the fan, so Jason pulled the fridge out, vaccuum it out in the back washed everything that could be washed and still it smelled.

We really didn't know where to go from here. How could our fridge still smell? I put some baking soda in a little container and put it in there too. I sprayed it down inside with a lovely febreeze sented spray and it still smelled.

Worst part, we had invited people over for New Year's eve and I was so worried, they'd pass out from the smell, that it might be worse to other people because we had become used to it, so I went out and bought a nicely scented candle and fired that up hoping to hide the stink.

As I prepared the food I'd be serving that evening, I just kept thinking how awful it would be for someone else to smell that fridge. I pulled all my veggies out of the crisper and began cutting them up. When I opened the bag of cauliflower that I'd purchased only a few days ago, the scent jumped out at me! Could this be it? It shouldn't be, it was not old, nor was it moldy. I  had used it in a stir fry just a couple days prior, but I thought maybe I'd found my culprit.

I took that bag over to Jason for a second opinion as I have a terrible cold and my sence of smell may be altered. I asked him if this is the smell, he said, "it doesn't smell good". I tossed that cauliflower in the garbage and promptly removed it from the premisis.

As I continued to prepare the rest of my food for the evenings festivities, I enjoyed a sweet smell of my new candle (that was supposed to be a gift for my Christmas gathering at my Grandma's house on Sunday). I just kept saying, "I'm so happy we got rid of that smell!"

What a happy New year! :)

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing worse than stinky food!

    The worst culprit is a rotten potato. Ever smelled one of those?

    ReplyDelete