1000 miles in 2011

Saturday, April 23, 2011

back to square one

I recieved a phone call this morning from the girl who took Crosby for the weekend. He bit her while she was trying to brush him. She didn't seem terribly bothered, was mainly calling to make sure he was up to date on his shots. I assured her he was. She said she still wanted to try things out the rest of the weekend.

I felt better after this call. 2 reasons, she was brushing him, that shows me she is as nice as I hoped and wants to take care of him, I can not remember the last time I brushed him! I know that is terrible. The second reason, she seems to be willing to work with his flaw, if that is a good word for it. I started to think this might be it, he might not be our dog anymore. It was something I was starting to accept. I was enjoying not worrying about him when we arrived home from somewhere. I was able to just put Brayden down and not be afraid he'd grab Crosby and get bitten. It was still going to be hard to make it official but, I was coming to terms with the possibility.

That all changed with a phone call at 9pm. It was this girl again. He has bitten someone else in her family. I asked if she wanted me to come and pick him up. She said that I could because the people she was living with at this time were concerned. I promptly jumped in the car and headed across town. My stomach again in knots which seems to be the way it likes to be lately. I don't know if it's because I felt bad, or because I feel we may never find him a good home or what it might be, but I felt crappy.

When I got there, he was in his kennel. I carried the kennel to the car, sat it on the passengers seat and got in. I opened the door thinking he'd be excited to see me. He came out and sat on my lap (which I normally don't let him, this was a special circumstance), but he wouldn't look at me. He just sat there. When we got home, I put him in the house and he walked right past Jason sitting on the couch. I thought he'd run and jump up on his lap, but no. He went outside, did his business and came back in. Jason and I were petting him and he started to growl. The same way he always does when he feels he's in trouble. As I was petting him, I noticed his eye was all goopy. An eye infection, well, I was afraid to wipe it off because I didn't want to be bitten, so off to his kennel he headed with his goopy eye. I'll have to have a look at it in the morning when he's hopefully in a better mood.

So we are back to square one. I don't know what to do. I don't know if the next person that attempts to take him will be so understanding. I don't want to even allow anyone with kids to take him for any amount of time. I thought maybe a different environment might cut down on this alpha male problem I believe it is he has. I think he'd just be happy roaming freely, doing whatever he wants to do. Unfortunatly, I do not know where I would find such a place.

No comments:

Post a Comment