1000 miles in 2011

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

cold meds

Is cold medicine really that good for you?

I wonder this today as I may be a bit high from it as I write this. Sunday night I went to bed with a bit of a sore throat. Not big deal, I normally just wait it out but on Monday I decided to buy some Halls just to soothe my throat a little. I am beginning to think the Halls are the reason my cold got worse today. It seems the last few times I had a sore throat, if I popped a cold Fx twice/day as directed, that sore throat was gone and nothing more came of the cold, but each time that I had a Halls cough drop, my cold got worse and turned into a head cold. This makes me wonder, is it the Halls that are causing the cold?

I went to bed last night with a phlemmy throat and a headache. I thought the headache was just because I was tired and normally I can sleep it off but last night I just couldn't shake it. My throat was dry and my head was killing me. It felt like my head was about to explode! It went on like that all night.

When I got up this morning, I didn't think I'd make it through the day without some help. I remember taking some cold and sinus stuff one time and it seemed to really help so I hoped we'd still have some in the cupboard. We did not. All we had was 2 loose capsules of sudafed cold and cough. It was labelled on the back of the pills or I wouldn't have taken them. I thought I'd try it out. I would normally only take 1 but today, it really hurt, so I went for 2 right off the start.

Within 1/2 an hour, I started to feel dizzy! If I was sitting still I was fine but as soon as I'd stand up, I felt like I was going to fall over. I also started to feel sick. Thank goodness my kids were cooperative today, they played really well together while I sat and tried to overcome my side effects. When I tried to eat something, my tongue felt numb which sometimes happens to me when I've had too much to drink. It was weird. I felt like I was on the gas they gave me during my labour with Brayden. I didn't like that feeling. I prefered the pain of labour to that uncontrolable dizzy, nauseous feeling.

That was me all over again this morning. There is always a warning on the label (or at least there would have been if I had the box!) that says do not operate heavy machinary but it should say "do not take care of small children". I figured that 4 hours later, the effect should wear off. It was a little longer than that but now I'm stuffed up again, I am debating which is worse. I may have to make a run to the drug store later.

No comments:

Post a Comment