1000 miles in 2011

Friday, November 12, 2010

decisions decisions

Today we are faced with a difficult decision.

Our dog hurt his leg yesterday. Jason picked him up and he squirmed, Jason dropped him from about his thigh, and Crosby started walking with one of his back legs up in the air. We brought him inside and he continued to limp along the rest of the day. He went about all his activities normally, just did them on 3 legs so we didn't call the vet, being that it was Rememberance Day and they were closed. This morning I took him in to see what was wrong.

Crazy thoughts of all the expenses were running through my head all day yesterday and even at the app't this morning. The vet examines him and says he's torn his ACL, the tendon in his knee. Apparently with small dogs, it's very common because the groove that the knee cap sits in isn't deep enough and their tibia (shin bone) is slightly rotated, causing the tendon that helps to hold the knee cap in place, to pull the knee cap to the side out of the already not deep enough groove. Then with the fall, it completely tore the tendon that is used to pull back on it. I was also informed that dogs are animals that are often prayed upon when weak, they don't show pain, so all this time I'm thinking it must not be too serious because he's still doing everything normally, he was likely just masking the pain.

Her solution, rest for a week along with anti-inflammatories. After that, it is most likely that he'll need surgery! Well, all I'm thinking is $$$$? The visit today with the meds for a week was already $80, money that we really don't have right now because Jason is starting school on Monday for 3 months and won't have a normal paycheck. Plus for the next week I have to try to make sure Crosby isn't jumping on and off the couch and not doing too much activity. The doctor goes over the estimate for the surgery that is likely inevitable, and I almost threw up right there! Best case scenario, $1700, worst case, $2100. Is that it? Wow, I thought it would be a lot (note there is no font for sarcasm here). There is no way we can afford that now, and I'm not even sure we would want to pay that much if we were both working!

It's going to be a lot of thinking involved. I don't know what other options we have, we have to just really hope that this next week goes well and he rests his knee as much as possible!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds painful!! What to do?
    It would be a really tough decision. I guess I can't even really relate, I haven't had a dog as an inside-dog/pet for years. Our family was never attached enough to a pet to shell out that kind of money. That being said, I know that when you have a little dog live in your home, it becomes part of the family!! This sucks. I really feel for you guys as you try to decide what to do about all of this.

    ReplyDelete