1000 miles in 2011

Friday, November 19, 2010

Things are starting to look up

Yesterday I managed to put Brayden down for all 3 of his naps without nursing him to sleep. He had 3 naps because each was short, not enough for him as he woke up crying. He only does that when he's still tired. I felt very proud. I wanted to start trying that during the day when I'm not so tired. Hopefully it carries over into the night and he learns how to put himself to sleep.

I wasn't going to try putting him to bed on his own just yet but when I was nursing him before bed, he fell asleep but woke up when I moved. So I decided to give it a try. I put him in his bed awake, turned on his music and he cried for like 2 minutes, settled down and soon after was sound sleep.

This was at 8:30pm. The next time I heard from him was 4:30am! Fabulous. Being that it had been 8 hours, I'd feed him hoping he'd fall back to sleep. He did and he then slept til 9am! What a great night, for him. Of course that would be the night I have trouble settling and woke up several times but that's a whole other story.

This is the third night he's slept well. Wednesday night wasn't great, he woke up a few times until 3:30am but then slept til 8am. But Monday night, he went to be at 11pm and slept until 8am, then Tuesday night he went to bed at 7:30pm, woke up at midnight to eat then back to bed til 8am. He seems to like getting up at 8am it would seem. I am certainly not complaining, this is great. I'm thankful that if Ashton gets up before that, I can turn on cartoons and go back to bed.

On top of the good sleeping, today Grandma Thiessen, Auntie Nikki & Paige came for a visit and Brayden actually visited with them and didn't need to be held by me all day. The same thing happened last weekend when we went to Winnipeg for Kaylee's 3rd b-day party. He still needs his mom when he gets really upset but for the most part, my little boy is growing up!

1 comment:

  1. Yay sleep!! It's amazing how much greener the grass is when there's some sleep involved. I'm glad for you guys!!

    A friend of mine here in town has a baby who is 1.5 months old and he's up like crazy in the night still. I've been bugging her to let him cry, and last night she finally just laid him down and let him cry. She'd come in and rub his belly and stuff and eventually he fell asleep and finally slept over 4 hours in a stretch. It's cute, because this morning she told me how guilty she felt, wondering if he felt un-cared about when he cried and she didn't come.

    Not easy sometimes, but so necessary!!

    I always get mean earlier. Elliot's been only getting up once in a 12 or 13 hour night now for probably more than a month. It's restoring my sanity. And then I feed her, change her diaper, put her back to bed awake and don't hear from her again until the morning. It's wonderful. Now if I could just get in the habit of going to bed earlier myself I might start feeling normal again!

    ReplyDelete