1000 miles in 2011

Monday, November 22, 2010

my day off

Yesterday I had a baby shower to go to for a friend who had twins a month and a half ago. I've known about the shower for sometime and with the way things were going with Brayden before, I was planning on taking him with me for the longest time but he's changed so much in the last week, I decided to leave him with his dad.

Dad was a little nervous but I reassured him he'd be fine and that I needed some time away from the kids. I tried to remember the last time I was out kid-free, and I'm pretty sure it was when I went to visit this friend in the hospital a month ago and on this occassion, I made sure both kids were in bed before I left so Jason didn't have to worry about them. Needless to say, I think I'm due for a break.

I had a fabulous afternoon being out of the house. The only drawback was that I have a terrible cold and basically no voice so it was very difficult to visit. I had a headache by the end of the day from trying to push out a voice of some sort. Most of the time I just whispered because that I could do easily. This happens to me at least once every year.

When I returned home, I found one little boy in bed and the other at the coffee table enjoying some smarties. I asked Jason how he made out. He said pretty good. Brayden was alright for him with one minor setback. They were sitting on the floor playing and the dog wanted outside so Jason left Brayden sitting there by himself to tend to the dog and Brayden, who can sit on his own very well but you know how babies are, sometimes they just fall over, threw himself backwards and smashed his head on the hardwood floor. Of course he screamed and screamed. That was one thing I forgot to add to the list of "instructions" for Jason on what to do with Brayden. I never leave him sitting when I leave, even for a second. He'll sit up forever if you are there but as soon as you leave, he dives for something or leans a little too far back.

Jason got him settled down a bit, gave him a bottle and put him down for a nap. Apparently he screamed for 1/2 an hour, which he hasn't been doing lately, so either his head still hurt or he wasn't that tired yet, who knows, but eventually he fell asleep and had a really good nap.

Next, how was Ashton. He was very good as well. He watched 3/4 of Ice Age - The Meltdown that I'd DVR'd for him and then some "Billy the Exterminator" which has become his favorite show. I know it's not for kids but he loves it. They had a very good afternoon.

I was happy to hear this, it put my mind at ease and started to get me thinking of what I could go out and do next, ALL BY MYSELF!

We also made another wonderful discovery yesterday. The root of Ashton's behavioral problem! ME!! I hadn't been home 5 minutes and he was back to his wild self, not listening and being obnoxious. Makes sense, grandma Haynes said she never has problems with him, he's always very good there. When he goes to Wheat King Games with Jason he's a perfect angel. So by the power of deduction, it's me. So now to find the solution!

1 comment:

  1. Don't you know that EVERYTHING is our fault!? lol.

    Seriously.

    I'm glad you had some time out of the house without the kids - it's a wonderful thing. I've been going to aerobics classes here in town, and sure i'm only gone for 1.5 hours at a time, it's such a nice break. I also Christmas shopped all day on Saturday, and had both lunch and supper in Winnipeg with my friend, kid-free.

    Bliss.

    ReplyDelete